[TowerTalk] Re: [Force 12 Talk] Can of Worms II

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Force 12 Talk] Can of Worms II
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 05:40:40 -0800
Jeff: Thru the years I have owned 8 or 10 different yagis. Some were
commercial jobs and some were homebuilt. I have used rope in some of the
elements, weights in the ends of some and nothing in others. The worst
vibration occured in a 4 el 15 which used elements with thin walls and a
single diameter change. It was born to oscillate and rope or end weights
would not stop it. Ultimately the elements developed fatigue cracks and
the tips fell to the ground.
  I think F12 is on the right track using elements with many diameter
changes. Usually they are made up of 3 and 4 ft sections, sometimes with
sleeving. I do not like the many electrical contacts at the joints but
they seem to work well. I have a EF240/420 which shows little or no
oscillation tendencies and a 4BA which sways around in the wind but
doesn't seem to oscillate. 73, Dan, N5AR