[TowerTalk] low band receiving antennas options

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] low band receiving antennas options
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 06:50:37 +0000
Hello All
I have been looking at what options I have for low band receiving antennas.
I have been studying ON4UN's book Low-Band Dxing particularly the chapter on
Beverages. In the chart on pg 7-9 the chart on cone of silence lengths I see
that the length of 92 meter comes up for 160 80 and 40 meters it is the only
one that fits all 3 bands. Now if I did my math right this works out to
about 301 ft which I understand is considered a short Beverage and short
Beverages don't work well.
Now I think I could get 2 of these short Beverages in behind the house
running NE/SW and NW/SE If I made them bi-directional I would be covering
most of the DX areas from my QTH ( TX).

Is this a bad idea? Would I be better putting up a K9AY loop?

Since I own the land they will be on and it is not being used for anything I
could leave these up year round. I haven't yet gone out there and measured
the area yet but looking at the map that came with my deed it looks do able
if I slant them across the property  but not actually having them cross each
other. It looks like I have maybe 150ft N/S maybe a little more and 525ft
E/W.
73
Rick
KC5AJX