[TowerTalk] Need Help/Advice re: Yaesu G450-A control box

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Help/Advice re: Yaesu G450-A control box
From: w4foa@voy.net (Tony Martin)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:37:14 -0500
Dear Towertalkies,
I am looking for some help for 9N7RB in Kathmandu.
For the second time he has had a control box for the Yaesu
G450-A fail.  The first control box worked for approximately
a year and then failed...we bought a new one and shipped out
to him..it has now failed with similar problems.

A couple of questions:

Is this unusual or not for this model?
I can get a defective control box and send it to have it
checked and repaired, but where should I send it?
Is it cost effective?  It seems the last time I bought a new
box from Yaesu in CA it was around $150 or so.

I have taken the liberty to quote some of the email where
he gives some symptoms of the problem.

quote
> The rotor problem. The second control unit started acting up before
> Christmas and then quickly was out of commission.  The symptoms were as
> follows: the left turn control didnt work at all, then the right one too,
> but when I went back to the left, the indicator turned right for about the
> time I had first held down the left the first time. Got that ?   Any way,
> it only takes a few experiments to move it all the way to the right. The
> first time it did this, it then unlocked and worked ok for a day. But the
> problem returned and now nothing works.  Like you , I suspected voltage
> surges had caused damage, but I have the thing plugged into a regulator
> and a 220 to 110 transformer.  Uunnnhhhhh !
>
> I sent back control unit number one with ......... This one also had erratic
> behavior over a period of weeks before conking out. But this time I am
> sure  that the fatal blow was the physical failure of the left turn switch
> which no longer has any spring to it. I sent that one,thinking that we
> might just be able to replace the switch. (In truth,however, it had been
> behaving erratically. I dont rule out voltage surges as the problem, but
> dont know how better to protect it). > So far getting along by loosening
> bolts on the mast and rotating by hand.  Dont like doing this in the dark,
> but it is doable--it just cuts down on > my manoeverability.  As far as
> solutions go, the simplest route is to get another control unit > as we did
> before. I doubt if repairs are going to be much cheaper. On the other hand, I
> seem to remember that the unit you got for me was the only  one available.
unquote

Would appreciate words of wisdom from anyone familiar with this
model and/or symptoms/cures.

Thanks in advance.  Sincere 73
Tony, W4FOA

Order online at http://store.eham.net.