[TowerTalk] Oil for dummy load

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Oil for dummy load
From: wa2moe@firstinter.net (Stu Greene)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:36:12 -0700
At 01:02 AM 1/26/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I think we're getting somewhat far afield here, but I've never seen
>mineral oil or other petroleum-based products used on humans other
>than as a laxative or perhaps topically.

Ham radio dummy loads are  oil cooled or air cooled.  The original question
by a British ham was what kind of oil is recommended, and he received two
answers, transformer oil and mineral oil.

Transformer oil did or does contain PCBs and about thirty years ago its
danger became known. Most hams I know use what was considered the safer
alternative, mineral oil cooling a 50 ohm resistor.  Many use air cooled
loads at lower power levels.  You concluded with

>Now lets return to tower-related topics.

Doctor, antenna discussion is accepted on TowerTalk. Dummy loads are used
in lieu of antennas for tuning.  The gentleman's original question was, in
my opinion, relevant and has been answered.  Have a pleasant weekend.

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----