[TowerTalk] Three Band Quad Antenna System

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Three Band Quad Antenna System
From: mmfancher@earthlink.net (Mark Fancher)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:33:26 -0500
All:

I've been studying the subject antenna in the ARRL Antenna Handbook.  The
Handbook says, "Because quads are rather broadband antennas, excellent
performance is obtained in both the CW and SSB band segments of each band.
Changing dimensions in favor of a frequency 200 kHz higher in each band to
create a "phone" antenna is not necessary".

My question arises in the EZNEC model of this antenna.  I find that on 20m,
its not broadbanded at all.  In fact, I get a 2:1 SWR bandwidth of only 170
kHz.  10 and 15 m has a fairly broad bandwidth.

Does anyone out there actually use one of these antennas?  Is it really this
narrow on 20m?

BTW, the radiation plots for this thing are outstanding, especially for a
height of only 30 feet!  I would really like to put one of these in the air!
I'm just a little concerned about the narrow bandwidth on 20m.

Mark Fancher, AA4MF
mmfancher@earthlink.net

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----