[TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Safety
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:48:56 EST
In a message dated 2/12/02 5:49:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, w2fca@qsl.net
writes:

> Question - I've always used a lanyard made from some heavy dynamic
>  kermantle climbing rope. Would you think that would suffice or
>  would you suggest getting one of the commercial "progressive"
>  shock absorbing lanyards?

    You mean fall arrest lanyard (as opposed to a positioning lanyard)? Any
suitable (and legal) lanyard is fine - your chances of actually having to
take advantage of it is really small. But having the shock absorbing feature
may give you more peace of mind since you'll be taking less forces and
stresses.

    If you're asking the question - you must be thinking about the pros and
cons. I'd go with whatever you feel comfortable with. It's sorta like a fall
arrest harness - once you've used one you won't go back to a waist-only
safety belt.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech