[TowerTalk] U Bolts for TX-2 Rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] U Bolts for TX-2 Rotor
From: Roger Borowski" <K9RB@arrl.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:10:03 -0500
The "nyloc" nuts have less bite with every reuse. I recall reading somewhere
that three times was the maximum number of recommended times for reuse. In my
experience with them, it seems that the nylon wears away proportional to the
amount of turns and therefore the length of exposed thread is a more of a
factor to its life than times of reuse. If you are lubricating the threads as
they should be, you'll also find the nylon having a very limited
holding/locking ability, even initially, against the slippery, smooth stainless
steel threads. I also find the cost of nyloc nuts to be far more than an
additional second ordinary SS nut used as a jam nut for thread locking and
always have had a more secure feeling using steel rather than nylon.
73, -=Rog-K9RB=-