[TowerTalk] Suboptimum grounding/lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Suboptimum grounding/lightning
From: rfman@nc.rr.com (Todd Nichols)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:05:39 -0500
Mark,

As I sit typing this, I think to myself that I had discounted the
board-in-a-window idea because I didn't want to mess up the appearance
of the window, and yet...I've been contemplating the "best" way to
make a sizeable hole in the wall...and I didn't want to mess up the
screen (one of those tilt-in screens).  Well, I just got up and went
and played with the window.  I think that this might actually be OK.
I can get another screen if needed for later, and I can cut out a small
portion of this one to pass the cable (that is, if I don't just take
it out entirely and set it aside...got to see how that looks from the
outside...).  I can get those locks, or just use small blocks of wood,
screwed into the frame for security (to prevent the window from being
raised since I can't lock it with a panel in place).  I'm only looking
at two feedlines, and the window is rather wide, so I only need a 2 inch
or so thick panel at the bottom.  Thanks for making me revisit that
approach.

I hope y'all bear with me as I talk this stuff out.  I really appreciate
the suggestions I've gotten so far.  I'm sure that other folks on this
list face the same kinds of challenges as I do (quasi-typical suburban
ham), and it really helps to talk the ideas out before taking drill and
saw to expensive walls...

Thanks,
Todd AG4AY rfman@nc.rr.com