[Towertalk] M2 2800P-A

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] M2 2800P-A
From: w5iz@yahoo.com (Al Baker)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:25:32 -0800 (PST)
Learned colleagues,

I just installed a M2 2800 rotator and am having a
devil of a time getting the display to track with the
antenna position.

My the cable run on the tower is 140 feet and from the
tower to the house is another 180 feet for a total
cable run of 320 feet.  I broke the cable at the base
of the tower to eventually install lightning
protection.  There is no lightning protection in the
circuit at this time.

I am using 2 x 12 and 2 x 16 for the 4 control wires.

The antenna tracks perfectly with the box at the base
of the tower on the 140 foot run, but goes haywire
when the 180 foot run to the house is tied in.  I
checked the run to the house and it is perfect.  I
also ran another separate 180 foot run to the house
today and still have the indicator box going haywire
when the total run is 320 feet.

Eric at M2 recommended using RG8X for the reed
switching pair of leads...keeping the power leads as
the 2 x 12.  Before I go buy 320 feet of RG8X I wanted
to hear from any of you on the reflector as to whether
you think this will cure the gremlins.

Thanks and 73 de Al W5IZ