[Towertalk] TH5 Circa 1981

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] TH5 Circa 1981
From: G3XRJ@btinternet.com (John - G3XRJ -)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 18:19:07 -0000
> I have an old TH5 that I have re engineered back to some form of health
and
> would like to have it available as another backup. However it suffers from
> rain getting into the driven element traps causing high SWR on 15 and 20m.
> Has anyone solved the driven rain problem. I'm pretty sure its being
driven
> into the drainage holes.
> My current idea is to scrap the driven element in favour of a FS 20m
driven
> and two shock excited 15/10 drivers.
> Is their an easier solution. 73 Clive GM3POI

Clive,
In my coastal location I suffer from airborn seasalt which penetrates any
trapped antenna.
The solution. Dismantle the trap and bind the coil with self amalgamating
tape.
About three layers of tape has proved about right in giving sufficient
strength to stop it fragmenting over time, while not materially affecting
the
Q of the trap. My Fritzel beam has been up for 6 years without a problem.
73's John G3XRJ

---