[Towertalk] Antennas over Salt Water.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antennas over Salt Water.
From: blueis@sprintmail.com (blueis@sprintmail.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:24:21 -0500
Ted K6HI stated...

> All the navy and coast guard ships I have ever seen, and been on many, all
> have vertical antennas for HF.  They usually have two, on opposite sides,
> one on starboard and one on port.
>
> I have never seen a beam on one for HF.  Doesn't this say something?

Sure does...  the environmental conditions make a yagi/LPA a BAD choice:
                    wind-driven rain entering traps
                    high winds  (hurricane takes out antenna)
                    lack of space  ( a Hy-Gain 3-30Mhz log periodic WOULD
look good!)
                    changes in ship's heading would require constant antenna
positional changes
             and these are the first ones that a 'ground-pounder' could
think of!

I think it says that a vertical is the best survivable choice -- given all
possible conditions.

gary b
RVN BTO