[Towertalk] Forces on EME array

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Forces on EME array
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:48:11 -0600
Hello, Jim, Jim, and all;

Jim is correct in calculating the loads and questioning the adequacy of the
roof and joist structure.  He is also correct in questioning his recollection
of wind force: use 40 lb per sq ft (AIA standard) for 100 mph; 30 lb per sq ft
for 80 mph.

For mast strength, a mechanical engineer's handbook (such as Marks) will
provide formulas for use in calculating strength of various cross sections
(cylindrical, square, solid, tubular,etc.) and for material strengths.  Sellers
of masts may provide the maximum recommended bending (moment) load for masts
they sell.  Remember to include some safety factor and don't compromise the
strength with holes, cuts, or other stress risers near the point of maximum
bending.

If you guy the mast, a concern is the vertical load imposed on the attic floor
and its structure and buckling the mast.  (Guyed masts or towers often fail by
buckling when overloaded!)  This vertical load equals the horizontal force
component at the point of attachment of the guys divided by the tangent
(multiplied by the cotangent) of the angle between the guy and the mast.  At
30°, the vertical force is 1.7 times the horizontal force!  You may play with
the calculations (spread sheets make it easy to vary the dimensions) and arrive
at the lowest position for the guys that does not exceed the maximum bending
moment and also creates the least vertical loading.

Look for information on buckling in engineering handbooks or from the mast
seller .

Another problem with major structures on the house is that they may crack
plaster or wallboard even if they don't damage the structure.

For fastening guys to the roof, lag screw type fasteners may be marginal.  A
better plan is to place a substantial member (2X4 or 2X8) across several
rafters to anchor a welded eyebolt, with substantial flat washers under the nut
to spread the load over the wood.

I'm no expert on preventing leaks.  Most amateurs will start with some kind of
caulk or sealing compound.  Success and longevity probably depend on the
strength of the sheeting or whatever is under the shingles and its ability to
keep the eyebolt or other fastener from moving sideways, expanding the hole,
and working the sealing material.  A flashing above the fastener to divert
water from above may be a good idea.

People successfully mount TV and other VHF or UHF antennas and even small HF
antennas to tripods or other arrangements on the roof, but be cautious when you
start putting EME arrays and other large square footage on it.  You are off to
the right start in calculating the loads.  Get some professional help, or at
least read all the right handbooks, to determine what loads the house, mast,
and other parts can safely withstand.

73 de WOØW