[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 04:24:12 +0000
I reckon AA4LR mentioned the crank-up tower I was thinking of previously
when K7LXC replied to another post about crank-ups & how they do not
provide a way to take the load off the cable when extended.

I don't remember who the manufacturer that AA4LR is probably also
thinking of, but I recall it's one which uses aluminum, so let's not go
there. ;^)

For the benefit of everybody, there is at least one manufacturer of
crank-ups that are not only intended to be climbed whilst extended, but
also provide a mechanism to lock the sections together - hence the reason
for climbing them.

This manufacturer is not from North America & my point is that it would
probably be a good idea in some cases that comments be qualified - most
crank-up towers commonly available in the NA market do not provide for
locking of sections & all appear to be very dangerous to climb.  In a strict
NA-only view, K7LXC's comment was almost spot on.  I read it with an
element of decode-for-outside-NA, but I suspect there are others of us out
here who would not necessarily read it that way & I would respectfully ask
that everyone bear that in mind.

73, VR2BrettGraham