[Towertalk] Force 12 antennas and tower relay grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Force 12 antennas and tower relay grounding
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:21:50 -0500
At 09:00 PM 3/25/02 -0500, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:

>When you have feedlines attached to these driven elements that are
>closely coupled, and depending on how long the feedline is to the
>particular DE, the unused DE's can appear either open at the center,
>shorted at the center, or worse, detuned to some odd frequency that
>affects another band.
>
>You need to know from F12 whether the design wants the unused DE's to
>be shorted or open, and design the feed length to the switch and
>choice of open/shorted when not in use to match.

Guy's got a good point.  As I suggested in an offlist message to Henrik,
there's another consideration -- that 30/40 interlaced yagi has the
potential for interaction with the 15 and 10 meter elements in the 5BA,
depending on spacing and a lot of other things.  Whether the 30/40
feedlines are open or shorted could make a big difference in this respect,
but the only way I know of to know for sure is to try it.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org