(Re: [Towertalk] near tragedy) add. question "end of life"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: (Re: [Towertalk] near tragedy) add. question "end of life"
From: W9IXX@arrl.net (Philip Florig)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:26:43 -0600
At 08:20 3/31/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >I cringe when I see or hear of people using surplus lineman's pole climbing
>belts
> >and free climbing a tower!
>
>Why would you cringe at people using lineman's pole climbing belts?
>They are made to keep people on a wood pole, which is far more
>dangerous than a tower. (As I am a lineman, I think I state that
>with some confidence.)
>
>OK, I can understand about you not liking the idea of
>free climbing, but I do it to the 72 foot level of my
>tower all the time. Will I become a statistic? I don't think so,
>but I have made my living out of climbing things. I know when to take
>precautions and how to climb safely. Compare 100+ poles a week to
>one tower once a year (maybe less) and I think you will see
>my point.
>
>BTW I use a "Buckingham" Back-saver as my main climbing belt.
>I also inspect all of my climbing partners equipment before I climb
>with them.
>I have taken away some gear from my friends and replaced it with
>new gear rather than let them climb with wore out equipment.

Hi all,

This brings up a question from me as to the condition of climbing
belts.  You indicated to take away worn out equip.  My question
is at what point is the belt/equipment worn out.   I assume when
the leather is cracked and/or the stitching frayed that should be
retired.   Are there other hints or suggestions when the "end of life" is?

If this has been discussed before I apologize for the repeat but I
didn't find anything in my reflector history.

>See you later.
>Peter
>VE6YC

Thanks guys/gals