[Towertalk] Notes on my new tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Notes on my new tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:34:38 EST
In a message dated 4/5/02 8:36:55 AM Pacific Standard Time, w5vx@hiline.net
writes:

> 1. I stacked a Cushcraft XM240 at 131' and Force 12 C3E at 120 feet. I used
>  the rule of thumb that the stacking distance should be at least 1/2 the
boom
>  length of the higher frequency antenna. (C3E has a boom of 18 feet). This
is
>  not a good rule of thumb for these two antennas. Both the XM240 and the C3E
>  were significantly detuned from the specifications. The 120' tower has
>  non-conductive guys on the top three sets so that couldn't have been the
>  problem. We turned the C3E 90 degrees from the XM240 and both antennas play
>  fine. Not my favorite idea but it works.

    Yes, I had the same problem with the XM240 and a TH11. Turning them 90
degrees made it WORSE so we tried to get distance between them - it helped.

    Using 'conventional wisdom' (old wive's tale?) of 1/2 the boom length
doesn't really work as you found out. F12 wants 12 feet spacing for their
antennas which seems to be more helpful.

>  3. Watching a professional tower company put up the tower and antennas was
>  an education. Five guys put the tower up in about 6 hours and 2 guys put
the
>  antennas up in about 2.5 hours. Then plumb and tension. It's really great
>  know what your doing. Even with these guys who obviously know their stuff,
>  one fellow accedentally dropped a come-along. Fortunately, it only hit the
>  guy below him a glancing below. (Three stitches in the top of his head.)

    I don't consider it a "real" tower day until I'm bleeding - hi. It's all
banged up fingers though.

>  4. I have been planning this project for several months. Probably the
single
>  greatest planning help was "TowerTalk". This is really a great resource!

    You're welcome! Glad it was so helpful.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC