[Towertalk] re: insurance claim (humorous)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] re: insurance claim (humorous)
From: samvideo@escape.ca (Ron Samchuk)
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:32:02 -0500
Hi again to everyone on "Tower Talk".  First, thank you to all those who =
responded to my request for information on the hygain hytower.  I found =
something in an old QST that should bring a chuckle to especially =
readers of Tower Talk.  Hope you enjoy it.

=20
Introduction: =20

Before reading this insurance claim letter, close your eyes for a moment =
and visualize yourself working on your 80 foot tower.  Things could go =
wrong, especially when working alone. =20

=20

=20

=20

Re:  Insurance Claim #BHDR66798
=20

            I am writing in response to your request for additional =
information concerning this claim.

            In Block No. 3 of the accident report form, I put 'poor =
planning' as the cause of the accident.  You said in your letter that I =
should explain more fully, and I trust that the following details will =
be sufficient.

            I am an amateur radio operator.  On the day of the accident, =
I was working alone on the top section of my new 80-foot antenna tower.  =
When I had completed the work, I discovered that I had, over the course =
of several trips up the tower, brought up about 300 lbs of tools and =
spare hardware.  Rather than carry the now unneeded tools and materials =
down by hand, I decided to lower the items in a small barrel by using a =
pulley that, fortunately, was attached to the top of the tower.

            Securing the rope at ground level, I went to the top of the =
tower and loaded the tools and materials into the barrel.  Then I came =
back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a =
slow descent of the 300 lbs. of tools.   You will note in Block 11 of =
the accident form that I weigh 155 lbs.  Surprised at being suddenly =
yanked off the ground, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go =
of the rope.  Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate up the =
side of the tower.  In the vicinity of the 40-foot level, I met the =
barrel coming down.  This explains my fractured skull and broken =
collarbone.  Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not =
stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into =
the pulley.

            Fortunately, by this time I had regained my presence of mind =
and was able to hold tightly to the rope in spite of my pain.  At =
approximately the same time, however, the barrel hit the ground and the =
bottom fell out of it.  Without the tools, the barrel now weighed 20 =
lbs.

            I refer you again to my weight in Block No. 11.  As you =
might imagine, I began an abrupt descent down the side of the tower.  =
Around the 40-foot level, I met the barrel coming up.  This accounts for =
the two fractured ankles and the lacerations of my legs and lower body.  =
The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries =
when I fell onto the pile of tools, and fortunately only three vertebrae =
were cracked. I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the =
tools, in pain, unable to stand, and watching the empty barrel 80 feet =
above me, I again lost my presence of mind.  I let go of the rope.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---