[Towertalk] Heavy winds...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Heavy winds...
From: kb9cry@attbi.com (kb9cry@attbi.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:55:02 +0000
Mike, I'm not sure about the effectiveness of the second
bearing.  It would lessen any sideways forces on the
rotator but it would not reduce any twisting forces that
are transmitted from the mast to the rotator, as long as
the brake held up.  I believe these are the forces that
loosened my bolts up.  The holes in the rotator plate
were not opened up any; all I could think of is that the
twisting moment, along with the vibration of the wind
whistling in the elements, caused the bolts to literally
back their way out.  The two that I found on the ground
had no damage at all; one would think that if they
loosened due to a sideways force, there would be damage
to the threads.  Also, the HyGain rotator body is
aluminum and the bolt fit in the threaded hole is kinda
sloppy.  Phil  KB9CRY