[Towertalk] Explain this!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Explain this!
From: ni8l@raex.com (Scott Detloff K8DX)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:17:58 -0400
Woke up early this morning from the high winds and rain, not
to go down to the shack to listen for VK9ML on 160M :-)
As I often do when we have high winds, I came downstairs and=20
took a look outside to see how the antennas were surviving.
You have a tendency to do this when you've had a tower come=20
down :-)

I spotted something "glowing" about  the spot where my SW wire
vertical for the 80M 4SQ is.  At first I thought it was an animal,=20
and I was just seeing its eyes, but it wasn't moving, and turning on=20
the lights on in the back of the house didn't scare it away.

I took out the binoculars and could definitely tell it was the at the=20
base of the vertical that was glowing at the point where 120+ radials
run up through a 2" white PVC pipe into a Rubbermaid box that
holds an aluminum plate that connects all the radials.  Even though
it was completely dark out, wind still blowing, and raining,  I could
see the 4 X 4 post that everything is attached to, as well as the =
plastic
box with a dull white glow.  I watched it for another 15 minutes or so,
then went back to catch a little more sleep.  There is nothing to =
reflect off=20
of.  Inspection of the vertical this morning shows nothing out of the
ordinary.

Any ideas?

Scott Detloff K8DX
Paris, Ohio