[Towertalk] AT&T Microwave Tower Sites

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] AT&T Microwave Tower Sites
From: w5kft@nts-online.net (w5kft@nts-online.net)
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:47:57 -0500
        I am working on a research project about the hundreds of
microwave sites that were built by AT&T Long Lines Division in
the 1960's in conjunction with the Department of Defense.  These
are the sites, I think there were about 1600 of them,  that had the
hardened concrete buildings with AC generators and the huge four
legged self supporting towers up to 400 feet tall. The vast majority
of these towers are in rural and remote locations, away from all
urban population centers.

        Amateur radio operators working in a variety of capacities
were involved in the engineering, construction, and operation of
these sites.  I am trying to get in touch with any of these folks.

        I would like to get in contact with any present or former AT&T
employees, DOD employees,  contractors, vendors, etc etc. that
had any contact or experience with these sites.  I want to get
information about the sites, old pictures,  route maps, trivia
information about these Cold War facilities.

        If you have any information about these tower sites, please get
in contact with me on a direct basis.......any internet info or
websites related to these towers would also be appreciated.

Bryan Edwards W5KFT
Lubbock, Texas