[Towertalk] Insurance Companies

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Insurance Companies
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 21:57:55 -0400
> Having lost a tower and antennas several years ago in a windstorm the
> insurance company (Hartford) was not as concerned about the loss as I was
> when I learned that they only covered the loss up to $1000. This is not
part
> of your normal home owners coverage

This simply is not true!

Like anything else, it depends on the COMPANY, on the POLICY and on what you
pay for.

State Farm covered my lightning claim from last year without batting an eye.
I had chosen them many years ago because of their reputation, their
financial strength and their professionalism.

Several readers of this reflector can attest to how pleased they were with
wx related claims under State Farm coverage which WAS covered without a
separate rider.  In my case, the Sr. Claims adjuster was a ham who came out
and photographed everything.  I was very impressed.  No doubt they sent a
ham to understand what the damage was and to make sure that their non-ham
adjuster wasn't taken advantage of.  Since I had nothing to hide, the fact
that they sent a ham was to my benefit since only a ham would have an
understanding of the damage and what would be involved in repairing/replaced
the damaged items and the labor involved as well.

The lesson is to chose the BEST company - DO NOT premium shop.  Then make
sure you find out IN ADVANCE, what is covered and what is not.  Then and
only then, sign the application and buy the coverage.  Do not assume
anything.  The better companies will charge MORE but will be much easier to
work with when you have a major claim.  They will also tend to cover certain
items under a normal policy as opposed to other companies which may insist
on an additional rider.

Bob KQ2M

and they didn't even know how to write a