[Towertalk] Insurance companies-->Coverage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Insurance companies-->Coverage
From: brewerj@squared.com (brewerj@squared.com)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:04:15 -0400
<nkeane4@comcast.net> writes:
"Having lost a tower and antennas several years ago in a windstorm the
insurance company (Hartford) was not as concerned about the loss as I was
when I learned that they only covered the loss up to $1000. This is not part
of your normal home owners coverage and they didn't even know how to write a
rider for this purpose at least at the time they didn't."

I'd check this REAAALL carefully. I called my insurance company, and got
confirmation that as
long
as the tower was attached to the house, it was covered by my normal Homeowners
Insurance. When
I told them that it was to be a free standing tower, they asked if it was
connected, even with
a wire.
Answering, "yes, of course",  they mentioned it would be covered with no
additional rider
needed.

This confirmed the same story I'd gotten by several other hams with different
insurance
outfits.

Trust, but verify.... but I'd bet most insurance outfits cover it under your
normal policy.

John
wb5oau/4

PS: I asked and verified that the insurance would cover replacing the tower, as
well as
covering
the liability if it happened to fall on the neighbors cat (house, car,
whatever) and they
answered
in the positive...."Yes, it covers liability as well as loss".