[Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!
From: ditzian@alltel.net (ditzian@alltel.net)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:17:15 -0400
Yet on these very same pages many of us expound upon the wisdom
>      of
> using lightning suppressors with (soldered) PL-259 coax connectors.
> Should there not also be a mechanical connection from the coax shield
> to a nearby ground point just ahead of the Polyphaser or other
> suppressor?  (The installation at my tower has this configuration by
> virtue of the shield ground at the base of the tower, a foot away from
> the suppressor on each coax run.  But it was coincidental that the
> shield is grounded so close to the lightning suppressors at this QTH.)

Gene,

It seems to me that the reason to use lightning suppressors on coax
shield, even if soldered, is to provide an alternative path to
lightning that happens to end up on that shield, rather than having
it go into the shack, to wherever the coax is connected or to what it
is near.

HOWEVER, this should not be the only lightning path. A wise ham would
provide a far lower resistance path to ground right at the antenna
and tower (lightning ground). Taking extra precautions by putting an
arrestor between the coax line and ground would not seem to hurt
anything.

73,
Jan Ditzian
KX2A