[Towertalk] MW BC tower insulator swap method

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] MW BC tower insulator swap method
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:19:47 +0000
Hi you guys:

Last night I went to the monthly meeting of the local radio club. The
program was a tour of a local 1580 Khz AM station tx site.  I was real
excited because I had never gotten a chance to see a mw bc tx site up close
so I went along and asked a lot of questions.  When we got out to the tower
I asked if we could see the base of it up close.  I wanted to see how the
pros did their grounding, counterpoise connections, and insulation of the
tower.  I expected to be told we couldn't get close because of liability but
to my surprise the guy showing us around let us gather around the tower
base.  I only had to say "Don't Touch That!" twice when it looked like
someone was about to lean up against the pipe running from the tuning shed
to the tower.  Anyway, what I wanted to share was something I learned that
was real interesting to me--these base insulators wear out eventually and
have to be replaced.  That's done by jacking up the tower just enough to
allow the insulator to be quickly swapped out so a new one can be put in and
the tower let back down to rest on it. I thought that was a nifty trick.  We
also saw an old Sparta standby tx (four 4-1000s) and learned how they
isolate an FM antenna on an AM tower.

73,
Rob Atkinson
K5UJ