[Towertalk] Poway (CA) Building Permit Strategy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Poway (CA) Building Permit Strategy
From: bob@farkaly.com (Bob Farkaly)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:24:20 -0700
I'm getting ready to petition the city of Poway (CA) for a permit to
install an antenna support structure. The antenna support structure I'm
planning to install is a 70' crank up.

There are no CC&Rs. The last CC&R covering the property expired in 1998.
When we purchased the property last August we had the expired CC&Rs
removed from the deed. The City of Poway, CA, does not have a municipal
code chapter referring to an amateur radio antenna or antenna support
structure. When reviewing a permit application they use the chapter
regulating the installation of "Satellite Dish Antennas". This document
states that the height of the "antenna" not exceed the height of the
ridge of the roof.

My neighbor, K6GO, was awarded a building permit allowing the antenna
support structure to extend to 35', but with a restriction that it be
nested at 22' during hours of non-operation.

With that background, my question is on how to approach the City of
Poway for a permit? If I acknowledge that the satellite dish ordinance
is operative, how do I proceed? Would it be better to apply for an
amateur radio antenna support structure permit even though the City does
not recognize such a structure?

During the November 14, 2000 City Council meeting, the staff was
instructed to draft an ordinance specifically covering amateur radio
antenna support structures. Thus far there has been no progress made on
the task.

One last point, after K6GO received the permit, the City came back and
tried to revoke it because of complaints from a neighbor.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

73,

Bob, K9RHY