[Towertalk] Here's the TOWER hat photo

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Here's the TOWER hat photo
From: ww5l@gte.net (Tom Anderson)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:38:17 -0500
John:

When I was a reporter/editor for the Fort Worth paper from 1977-87 I always made
an assignment for a photographer Saturday or Sunday at Ham Com in Arlington.
Nearly every time someone went out there they came back with this kind of photo,
the guy with one, two or three rubber ducks on a steel or aluminum safety helmet
or the tailgate shot with someone and a pickup/station wagon full of old
radios.  We even had a couple photogs who were also hams.  I was mostly a words
person and let the photogs shoot what they wanted.  I always too made an
assignment for Field Day at one of the radio clubs' FD sites around Fort Worth.
One time it was a bit slow and the paper ran a whole page of photos from the
different FD sites.  Also helped each club get their 100 points for "publicity."

Later when I went to work for my father selling athletic uniforms, letter
jackets etc. to Texas high schools and colleges, my father and brother decided
they'd go out to Ham Com and get a flea market table and try to sell some
shirts/jackets that hams could have their calls embroidered on.  When they came
back to the office Monday all they could say was hams were the "most unusual"
group of people they've ever seen.  Of course my father and brother are so far
to the right politically they almost come around from the left.

Tom, WW5L