[Towertalk] pine tree verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] pine tree verticals
From: jljarvis@adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:37:56 -0400
On Mon, 20 May 2002, Jim White wrote:

> will be putting up a vertical antenna for receiving this weekend....on 40
> and 80 meters - one location is thick with pine trees taller than the
> vertical - should I even think about problems at this low a frequency?
>
> K4OJ

Jimbo....

Shoot some rope over the pines, and hoist up elevated GP's.  Make at least
3 radials @ 5% longer than resonance, and go to town.  You can make it
a dual bander by using transmitting twinlead for the hoist...but you need
resonant radials for each band.  You can tweak resonance by folding the ends
of the radials back on themselves.

I have one for 160 & 80 that has played well.  Been down this season, due
to a moose tangling with the radials...but scheduled to go back up.

Whatever the interaction with pine sap may be, you can't do much about it.
Forgetting about it seems to be a viable option.

Jim/N2EA