[Towertalk] Rohn 25G rating

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rohn 25G rating
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 00:53:19 -0500
I lost a Rohn 25G (68') tiltover tower a few weeks ago to a monster storm
that came through unexpectedly.  I need to understand the rating of the old
tower for insurance purposes--I need to "replace" the tower.  Most
advertising for antennas talk about Sq Ft at MPH ratings, typically 50, 70,
90, 100MPH, etc.  The Rohn catalog talks about "20 PSF" and "30 PSF."

My drawings that came with the tower talk about the following ratings:

@ 20 PSF 11.7 Sq Ft
@ 30 PSF 6.2 Sq Ft

There is no reference to MPH anywhere.  How do I convert the notion of PSF
to MPH and visa-versa?

I'm trying to find a comparable tower to replace what I had, again, for
insurance purposes.  The key features that need to be replaced involved
being able to work on my own antenna, on the ground.  That really limits my
options to crank-up, tip-over towers.  Until I can reconcile the two
separate specification disclosures, picking a suitable "replacement" tower
is difficult since all current offerings by other manufacturers rate
everything in "MPH."

If any of the tower gurus haunting this list can help, I'm all ears...

Ford-NØFP
ford@cmgate.com