[Towertalk] Windload "partway up"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Windload "partway up"
From: k1mk@alum.mit.edu (Michael Keane, K1MK)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:13:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Mowery Joseph D DLVA wrote

> Mark,
>       The shear stress that the tower encounters is the
> same.  However, the bending moment is not the same and
> therefore the reaction at the base of the tower has
> changed.
>       If a manufacturer gave me this answer as coming
> from their "Engineering Department," I would have to
> find another manufacturer.
>

> Joe, AG4BW

The point is not that there are changes in the distribution and
magnitudes of the loads and moments but that "add it all up" provides an
answer which is to first order accurate for guyed towers and errs on the
 conservative side for self-supporting towers.

If one were to pay a PE or the  manufacturer to run the calculations for
a specific design, one should fully expect to receive an exact answer.

Taken as offered, as engineering wisdom, "add it all up" is in this case
worth substantially more than most free advice.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu