[Towertalk] Burning ?'s

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Burning ?'s
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 22:17:17 -0500
I used a 2 element shorty 40M yagi (forget if it was a HyGain or a
Cushcraft) to make 1000 QSOs (largely NA and EU) on 15M from HC8U in 1989 in
the CQWW CW contest.  If I'd have had a real 15M antenna I should have made
close to twice that.

I put 12M and 17M energy into my model of my 4-element 20M Yagi (on 44 foot
boom) and there is a small amount of gain - front to back of about 2 db on
24.9 MHz and a small amount of "back-to-front" on 18 MHz.  I agree this
answer probably depends more on your exact antenna, but all 20M parasitics
whether directors or reflectors are probably reflectors on 17M.

I put 15M energy into a 2-el 40 model and the pattern is best described as a
butterfly, with roughly a 10db front-to-back ratio.  The largest lobes off
the front were not straight ahead, but at more like plus and minus 30
degrees.  Nothing off the back was within 10db of the bog lobes off the
front.  Like I said above, it worked at least.

Software: AO

Mark, N5OT