[Towertalk] home-made tower questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] home-made tower questions
From: borzol@sbelektronik.alphanet.ro (Zoltan Bordas)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 19:16:25 +0300
Hello,

I am considering to erect a "home-made" 16m aluminium self-standing tower.
It is planned for a Force12 C4 (maybe only C3) yagi for HF, a 4 element yagi
for 6m and a 5...9 element yagi for 2m.
The tower will be designed and made by a local company manufacturing
aluminium ladders, and will consist of 4 sections of about 4m. As my
backyard is very small and no crane can enter, the sections will be mounted
manually (maybe with a gin-pole) - this is why I have chosen the aluminium,
as is much more lighter then the steel.

My questions are:
- what is the suitable rotor for this application (manufacturer/model)? I
was considering the Yaesu G-800 DXA, but is this powerful enough, or are
there better/cheaper solutions? My area is not very windy, except sometimes
in the summer with short winds up to 100km/h (well, exceptions may
occur...).
- As I do not own the money for the tower + rotor + one yagi at least, I'd
like first to erect the tower and use it for wire antennas support until the
whole construction will be finished. Depending (or not?) of the rotor type,
what is the suitable mounting plate configuration and drillings to be
manufactured in order to be suitable later for the mounting of the rotor? Is
a drawing or plan available on the internet?
- What are the minimal dimensions for the tower-base for this construction?
Soil is not rocky, little bit loamy.
- Can I use also aluminium (alloy, as the legs of the tower) for the mast,
or only steel?

Thanks for any advice!

73 de Zoli / YO5CRQ

multipart/alternative