[Towertalk] Water Stubs of Universal Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Water Stubs of Universal Towers
From: nkeane4 <nkeane4@comcast.net> (nkeane4)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:05:09 -0400
Regarding the water in the stubs of the Universal Towers I put gravel in the
bottom of the hole as recommended by Universal at the time some 20 years ago
but my soil is pure clay with no drainage whatsoever. Anyway I was off the
air for about 14 years as one of the stubs and the steel insert on the leg
rusted out and in a pre-storm wind all of my antennas and tower came down.
Secondly I would recommend that any work that needed to be done should be
done by somebody climbing the tower. I know they sway quite a bit but that
is built in to the tower. Thirdly yes you can tilt the tower over by
removing the 2 bolts on the one leg but you better have several, tall big
brutes ready to catch it when it comes over or it will bury you. I know
there isn't a lot of weight there in the tower but when it is all hanging
behind you 40', 50, or 60 feet when it reaches that point where it is going
on its own it comes down like a bullet. I have also witnessed this but not
on my own tower. I suppose you could have some people on the other side with
ropes to ease it over as the people walking it down moved backwards. These
are my observations over the years so I am just passing it on for what it is
worth. I think there is a Heights Tower adapter with a large Acme screw that
can be used with a Universal Tower. This would allow it to be tilted over at
a point about 4' from the ground. Just my observations over the
years.........Norm W8KNH