[Towertalk] Lightning Protection - Conclusion (for me, anyway)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning Protection - Conclusion (for me, anyway)
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:27:21 -0400
On 5/14/02 10:15 PM, Tom Rauch at w8ji@contesting.com wrote:

>Despite the total lack of arrestors of any form on feedlines, and the
>fact I never disconnect any cables (there are far too many to unhook)
>I have never had a major problem with anything from lightning here in
>middle western GA.

The ONLY time (so far) that I've ever suffered lightning damage came when
my rig was safely stowed in the car.

Yes, it was Sunday afternoon after Field Day, and I was too tired to
unload the rig into the shack. My unconnected doublet took a strike which
melted the copper out of 45+ feed of transmitting twin-lead. (The dipole
stayed up in the air)

I'm convinced that if the doublet had been connected to a ground, then it
never would have taken the strike.

Disconnect if you must, but make sure everything is grounded at all
times. You're not doing yourself any favors by disconnecting and leaving
a live antenna feedline lying around.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901