[Towertalk] Tailtwister problem-

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tailtwister problem-
From: Barockteer@aol.com (Barockteer@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:30:56 -0400
Your indicator problem *could* be many things. Obviously wiring, problems in
the control box, mechanical disconnect between pot and upper housing, etc come
to mind. it *could* also be the problem I experienced twice in various HyGain
rotators:

The position pot is a big wirewound affair with a (phosphor-bronze-?) copper
wiper. Twice, the wiper got 'sawed' off by wearing on the hard nichrome wire.
The first time I bought a replacement pot ($$). The second time I cut a piece
off the first broken one and soldered it on the second one as an extension past
the broken spot.

Resistance checks might reveal where the problem is. The pot should be 500 ohms
end-end (says the siring and the nichrome element are good). The wiper is
grounded so resistance from end to ground indicates position.

GL,

Tony, K1KP