[Towertalk] Quad Support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Quad Support
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 15:24:32 -0600
Hello Tim,

A few comments.

First, I once had a 2L Delta Loop suspended from a 20 ft alumunum
boom (2 inch O.D.) at 120 ft.  I placed pulleys at each end of the boom
with a closed rope loop (closeline style) to allow me to attach the loops
at the tower and pull them out to the ends.  I formed small rope loops
around the boom to hold the wires.  It was a KILLER antenna !

At 80 ft, I would recommend inverted vee elements instead of loops,
to maintain as high an effective height as possible.  I use a 2L
40M inverted vee beam at our Field Day site with a 70 ft reflector
at 50 ft.  It plays very well for USA, but 80 ft would be better for DX.
I recommend pulling the ends out as far as possible with light nylon
cord to maximize the apex angle.

Another option would be to use two equal length elements fed with 3/8 WL
of coax and switch both sides of the coax, allowing for quick reversal.
The unfed element plus 3/8 WL coax stub acts as a decent reflector.
A single dipole could be placed perpendicular to those elements, under
the boom for plus / minus 90 degrees without having to rotate any
elements.

Tom  N4KG