[Towertalk] structural assumptions// bolts - Orion 2800

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] structural assumptions// bolts - Orion 2800
From: eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com (Eugene Jensen)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:00:17 -0400
The chart below gives you the middle of the road for most bolts and nut
in Metal to Metal contact as to proper Torque spec. I honestly believe
that anyone doing Tower/Antenna work should own a 3/8 and a 1/2 Torque
Wrench as the human hand isn't a good judgment tool for how tight or
loose a bolt and nut is. The Torque to yield Bolts as mention in the
below post as to Automotive Engine head's as a whole different animal
and have no real applications in Tower work. An example of a Torque to
yield Bolt is it use only once and then discarded. 73 Gene K2QWD

Max Torque (foot-pounds) for clean, dry threads Bolt size - Thread pitch
Grade 2 Grade 5 Grade 8 Special Alloy
Grade (2)(5)(8)(SA)
1/4-20 6 10 12 14
1/4-28 7 12 15 17