[Towertalk] [OT] weatherproof tape for antennas?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] [OT] weatherproof tape for antennas?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:55:25 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/02 5:06:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
NN7K@reno.rmci.net writes:

> 88 tape? you gotta be kidding, the stuff is common electrical tape (Scotch
>  brand #88 tape),

    I'm not sure whether you're endorsing its use or discouraging it.
Actually it's a premium grade electrical tape which is used by professional
tower climbers and is THE standard tape for the various telephone companies.
It has excellent adhesive, conformance (the ability to conform with whatever
surface it's applied to), and you can even put it on a wet boom or joint.
Scotch 88 (and 33) are THE recommended tapes for outdoor applications.

>  common as dirt.

    Still don't get your drift. It's common enough to be carried at some
hardware retail outlets but some TowerTalkians have said they couldn't find
it locally. You can get it at most electrical supply houses so that's where I
suggest you look if you can't find it.

>  best bet, tho is self vulcanizing (scotch #33, if i remember correctly),

    Wrong number. 33 is the same as 88, just slightly thinner.

    3M makes lots of sealing-type products mostly for the electrical and
electrical utility trade and many of them are suitable for amateur
applications. You have to go looking for these products as they are pretty
specialized (again, electrical supply houses).

>  this stuff you stretch to about 1-1/4 to 12-1/2 the length pulled off the
>  roll, then wind around what you want to seal, and because it self destructs
>  in sunlight, then cover it with 88 tape. this will weatherproof for several
>  years,

    There are a number of products that are useful as a vapor barrier on
electrical joints/coax connectors. Tower professionals use a butyl rubber but
some of the self-fusing tapes work well too.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -