[Towertalk] Sixpak (and other) antenna relay problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Sixpak (and other) antenna relay problems
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:38:17 -0400
TT:

     FWIW - When I purchased a used (excuse me - pre-owned) RCB-5 antenna
switch, I had to replace a few of the LEDs.  Upon opening the control box, I
noticed that there was a RS bridge rectifier pack soldered to the board in
place of what I assumed was the normal single diode.  I figured this was
installed by the previous owner to boost the DC available to the relay
contacts at the end of a LONG control cable.  (I bought the switch from a
TT'ian and I've seen his station/antenna field.)

     It might be easy enough to replace a single half-wave rectifier with a
full-wave bridge and increase the pull-in voltage available to the relays,
thereby causing them to wipe more vigorously upon closure.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
P.S.  After I replaced the LEDs in the control box, I bypassed the control
cable screw terminals (which are in parallel with the LEDs) with 0.001 pF
caps.  I still have the LEDs in service after four months and more than a
few lightning/thunder storms.