[Towertalk] Guy wire resonance. Break it up or use stubs?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy wire resonance. Break it up or use stubs?
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:37:15 -0400
At 07:50 AM 6/25/02 -0400, Saul Abrams wrote:
>I replaced the first two 27 foot sections with Philly and the
>clover leaf disappeared.

For what it's worth, another supporting anecdote.  I have a Force 12
EF-240S, at 104 feet, on a Rohn 25 tower with top guys at about the 95-foot
level.  Originally, I had 21-foot semi-rigid fiberglass insulators starting
at the tower, and then one-piece steel guys to ground level.  I didn't
notice any SWR perturbations, but the antenna didn't seem particularly
directive, nor did it perform well in contests.  I replaced my top guys
with Phillystran, and the antenna came to life.  this seems to indicate
that even 25-30-foot spacing away from guy wires may not suffice on 40m.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org