[Towertalk] Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Masts
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:37:01 -0400
TT:

     FWIW.  When I built my Trylon last year, I followed N3RR's advice
(based on his experience with AB-105 (erector set tower construction).
After I had the bottom three tower sections erected on the foundation, I
leaned the 22 feet of CM mast up against the tower and disassembled, then
reassembled, one diagonal brace at a time below the mast so it would fall
toward the center.  It took some doing and finagling of the mast, but I was
able to get the entire mast into the middle of the tower in a little over an
hour.

     After the rest of the tower was completed, we fastened a ginpole to the
top of the tower using Steve  'LXC's suggestion of resting the bottom of the
pole on a couple of S-hooks that were suspended at the ends of a length of
heavy chain looped over the top of the tower; we also lashed the pole to the
tower in three places.  From that point on it was a matter of hauling the
mast up through the plates and bearing, attaching antennas, using a
come-along to lift the mast into final position, etc., just as with Rohn
25/45/55.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F