[Towertalk] crank up maintenance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] crank up maintenance
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:19:05 -0400
In a message dated Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:47:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ny9h@arrl.net writes:

> So my question
> becomes, does the lubrication wipe off after each tower raising? And if so
> is it worth the effort to coat/spray the inner and outer section if there
> is no residual effect ?????  I would think there must be something that
> will survive the passing of the section. While the tower plumbs straight,
> one inner section  does tend to lean on one of the legs
> more than the other
> two. Could this be part of the problem?

    The guys at US Tower used to use a tenacious thick grease on the inside of
the legs so that the sections would slide easily during assembly. The grease
serves no other function.

    As you found, it just wipes off. Anything you put on them will just wipe
off.

    I don't recommend greasing the legs because of the lack of access to the
sliding surfaces and the potential danger of getting your hands inside all
those potentially dangerous steel pieces.

    I suggest you ignore the leg lubing but do a contientious job of lubing the
cables. (More details in the TT archives on www.contesting.com.)

    BTW the guys at US Tower use wax now instead of grease during assembly.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH --