[Towertalk] 20M Yagi ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 20M Yagi ?
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:12:21 -0700
Mauri,

How about the case where the ground immediately under the antenna
is very close, but there is also a  nearby cliff? Ray tracing to the point
of
distant reflection suggests this antenna will produce a very low angle
of radiation. On the other hand, the electrical field induced in the
ground immediately under the antenna will be out-of-phase with the
electrical field from the antenna suggesting that the antenna will
have a null towards the horizon.

A concrete example of this sort of antenna is the local club station.
They have a 160 meter inverted-vee mounted on a 40' telephone pole
close to the edge of a ~500' mesa. Looking in the direction of the 500'
dropoff, what is the effective height of this antenna? Is it 40' or 500'?

Anyone know how to properly simulate the pattern of a dipole in
this configuration?