[Towertalk] Fuel pump noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Fuel pump noise
From: Jerry Connelly" <jerryc@clinchrivercorp.com (Jerry Connelly)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:02:28 -0400
Hello all

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but you guys seem
to know just about everything (even if you don't allways agree).

I finally came up with enough spare funds to upgrade my mobile
equipment (slow economy & divorce are tough).  I purchased a
Yaesu FT-100D.  It lets me work 6m, 2m & 440 and listen to
hf (I am still a no-code tech working on the code).
My problem is a healthy whine when the engine is running.  It
seems to be the fuel pump and the noise is radiated (stops when the
antenna is disconnected).  With ignition on (motor off) the whine lasts
only about 1 -2 secconds when the key is first turned on.
I was considering trying a split ferrite data filter(s) over the power wires
to the pump.  Anyone been down this trail before??
Thanks in advance
Jerry KC8TES