[Towertalk] Hy-Gain HG-54HD crankup tower cable and TH6DXX problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Hy-Gain HG-54HD crankup tower cable and TH6DXX problems
From: w9jcc@juno.com (Frank C Travanty)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:15:12 -0500
Jan,
Suggest you do not remove the old rusted cable until you are ready to
replace it. It can be used to PULL or GUIDE your new cable through the
tower sections, so that you get it routed the exact same way. I've done
the cable replacement by purchasing the equivalent cable and clamps from
the local Farm Fleet store, and following the cable fastening proceedures
in the Antenna Book for the ends. If your pullys are still good you won't
need to remove them, using discrete clamps.

73,
Frank W9JCC

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:05:08 -0400 ditzian@alltel.net writes:
> I cranked down my venerable Hygain HG-54HD crankup tower to inspect
> why my TH6DXX had developed a case of high-swr. There
> are problems enough at the top, but on the way down I looked
> carefully at the cable (18 years old) and I realized that my
> problems
> had multiplied; there are about three strands left, in the middle of
> a major rust spot. This cable is not going to lift this tower
> again.
>
> Let me please ask two questions, unrelated to each other except for
> the fact that I must cure both before I can get on the air again.
>
> (1)        Is there a known source of complete HG-54HD cables, with
> the end hardware, that I can purchase to replace what I have?
> As a lesser alternative, does someone sell all the parts that I
> need? Can this cable-replacement job be done by someone who has
> never done one before?
>
> (2)        Alas, this time my TH6 problem is not the balun (you guys
> helped me with that already). I disconnected the balun and
> connected a 3-foot stub of coax directly to the wires from the
> T-match, and I measured high swr anyway. Here are some
> measurements I took, antenna 20 feet high, from the shack, and I do
> not think things changed much with the short stub, but I did not
> take notes up there. I am not the kind who deals comfortably with
> pencil, paper, and MFJ-259 while wearing a belt, even at 20 feet.
>
> F                                R                                X
                           SWR