[Towertalk] single point ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] single point ground
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:16:32 -0400
> Tom, are you saying that, in an extreme case, there might be NO ground
> connection in the shack, as long as all the local grounds were tied
> together so that they "move together?"  Doesn't there have to be a
> low-inductance connection between the station's single point ground
> and the AC service ground, to prevent the safety grounds on your
> equipment from upsetting the applecart?

"All the wiring" obviously includes all the power cables, and that
was specifically mentioned.

For example, consider a room upstairs far from the service entrance.
My solution would be to bring everything in and around the operating
position to one common point near the cable entrance. That might
require two cords, on for 120 and one for 240, that bring the power
leads to the common point. The safety grounds are grounded at that
common point, and the equipment and feedlines all route through that
common point. Power lines and telco lines would be fused and route
past with MOV's enclosed in a metal enclosure. All equipment would
plug into that point.

Antenna and control cables would be grounded to the service ground by
routing the cables past that area.

Simple and very effective, even with a very poor shack ground.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com