[Towertalk] grounding system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] grounding system
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:49:55 -0400
At 05:03 PM 7/28/02 -0400, Glenn Little wrote:
>Acording to some data that I got from a surge suppressor company
>concerning lightning induced voltages, a lightning strike one Km away will
>induce 200 volts per meter of wire.  The second floor of you house appears
>to be about 10 feet or about 3 meters above actual ground. That three
>meter ground wire could have 600 volts on it from a strike one Km
>away.  If the strike is 100 meters away, the figure goes to 1KV per meter
>of wire.

These numbers seem a bit extreme, or at least a bit categorical.  How many
times have you seen a lightning bolt and counted less than 3 before the
thunder came.  Did it fry your phone?  Your modem?  Your radio?

I suspect these numbers could represent worst case, but there are too many
variables (orientation of wire, neight above ground, etc.) for me to
believe that one voltage fits all.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at