[Towertalk] Phillystran Grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Phillystran Grips
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:49:36 -0700 (PDT)
I have several grips to install on (the newer style)
6700# Phillystran. I have no instructions for these
grips, per se, (I've asked TexasTowers for them -
didn't realize that I was not sent them) but do have
them for the "normal" grips for EHS.  I have installed
several dozen of the EHS grips on 1/4" cable with
little difficulty.  The final twist of the grip yields
a confidence-inspiring "snap" when done correctly.

With the Philly grips, however, I get no such snap. I
am following PLP's sheet that instructs one to split
the end of the grips and weave them back and forth
somewhat (rather than stitching one side fully then
the other). However, the tips of the grip tend to
bunch up since (it seems to me that) the jacket on the
Philly flows a bit.  This leaves the end of the grip
quite easy to unwind  - WAY more easily than the grips
on EHS (which require a screwdriver or other suitable
tool to get them started to unwind).

TT sent me tiewraps as well - never used any on EHS
grips so not sure what they are for...I hope these are
not expected to hold the end of the grips together...

Any ideas?

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com