[Towertalk] Tower Grounding Reality Check

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower Grounding Reality Check
From: sparks@apk.net (sparks@apk.net)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:56:32 -0400 (EDT)
I need a reality check on tower grounding:

My shack is in a separate building, about 100 feet away from the
house.  New 100 ft tower in the woods, about 30 feet behind the shack.  There
is a power sub-panel in the shack fed underground from the main panel in the
house.  Ground (8 ga) is carried to the sub-panel and is not tied to
neutral.  The tower will be grounded at each leg via copper strap to 8 foot
rod.  Coax shields will be grounded to the tower at the top and
bottom.  Lightning arrestors will be in coax just prior to entering the
building.  The power panel and the coax entrance are on opposite sides of
the building.  (I should have drawn a picture...)

I assume that I should simply tie the tower ground system, the coax
lightning arrestors and the building power ground at the panel all together
with, say, a 8 ga wire.  Correct?  Have I made other fatal mistakes?  Should I
drive another rod near the sub-panel?

The coax will come off the tower and run overhead in conduit at about 8 ft
above ground to the shack.  Is that a bad idea?  I don't want to dig a trench
if I can avoid it.

Thanks & 73 - Jeff, WB2RUZ