[Towertalk] Ground wire impedance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ground wire impedance
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:02:32 -0400
> I found some Canadian govt spec that says that stranded cabling is
> REQUIRED. See http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/regulations/regs/lr1352.htm.
> There seem to be a lot of prescriptions in this business, but not much
> analytical or experimental data.

It is pretty well known among RF engineers working with high power,
as well as cable manufacturers, that stranded wire is worse than
solid smooth wire of the same size and the finer the stands the worse
it is. Also weaving can makes it go from worse to terrible!

It certainly wouldn't take much experimental work or research to
confirm this, and to prove their suggestion of a woven conductor is a
poor suggestion.

It would be interesting to find out who ($$) was behind such a
regulation.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com