[Towertalk] Took a hit Sunday--what to do?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Took a hit Sunday--what to do?
From: rudym@net-link.net (Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:12:18 -0400
I took another lightning hit this past Sunday--but lost NO radio =
equipment--I had none hooked up!  Lightning current comes in though my =
service ground, which is tied into my towers, one 50 footer by house and =
one 100 foot about 140 feet from house.  The tall tower has the radials =
under it.  Polyphaser type bulkhead on house with Polyphaser arresters =
on the coax and rotor cables.

My Yaesu rotor I was having problems with now works beautiful again!  =
Yippee!

I lost every GFI receptacle in the house, the brains on the range/oven, =
the microwave, a TV, 2 ceiling fans, a wood stove fan, a cordless phone =
base, amplified computer speakers, electric garage door sensor, a =
battery charger, and a few other minor things--all covered by insurance. =
 No radio stuff--cool!

What can I put on the service to shunt lightning to ground?  Do the =
electricians have something?  The neighbor says they saw the bolt hit =
the top of my mast.  Maybe I got pulsed from farther down the line and =
my ground system worked fine?
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

multipart/alternative
  text/html